Today is my birthday, the sun is shining, and the smell of lilacs fill the air as I eat my breakfast on the deck. To be honest I feel pretty spoiled to be starting my day off this way. Yet despite such a beautiful day it does not feel appropriate to be celebrating me. Instead I think today is a great day to celebrate and acknowledge the good things happening around me.
Yes, 2020 has been a year of the pandemic, physical distancing, cancelled schedules and races, major lifestyle changes, and forced time alone to reconnect with the Self. As I comfortably sit here this morning, I recognize 2020 has also been a year of mass innovation, openness to change, bravery to be vulnerable, peaceful protesting, a global goal to flatten the curve, and most importantly recognition and action being taken to overcome generations of tolerated racism and privilege. We are in an uncomfortable state of growth. Despite the uncertainty, I am excited for how my community will successfully emerge from this time.
Today marks my personal start to a new year, and a time to set my hopes for what is to come for 2020 and into 2021:
- I hope to see kindness, compassion, understanding, healing, and gratitude normalized.
- A vaccine that allows us to physically connect with our communities,
- The freedom to visit my extended family in person
- The return to sport and racing
- The opportunity to compete and earn my spot as a Champion for the 2021 Canadian Olympic Team.
Today as I relax amongst the garden and lilacs, it’s nice to take a moment and realize, it’s a beautiful day. A day for birthday magic
Cheers to another trip around the sun!.